Sunday, March 04, 2007

Full of Pooh

The baby shower had a Winnie the Pooh theme, and the house was full of young children and babies. Some of the young kids were even serving up the food, which was very cute. I saw a lot of good friends, and being the only one with a working camera, took lots of pictures. I really think G-d is using my visual abilities because it seems like wherever I go, I am the token picture-taker. I tried to play with a very shy and hyper dog who took a sniff of my hand and ran quickly in the opposite direction. I felt so rejected.

As the token single person, I sometimes wonder about the investments I make in supporting other people's showers and special occasions. Will I ever get it back? Well, it is true that we should not give with the intention of getting back in return. We are to be joyful givers. However, I have heard of single women who throw showers for themselves -- seriously, they register at a store and have a big party.

I've also heard of women who marry themselves -- they have a ceremony and everything. I don't think I would go that far, but I did buy a silver version of the wedding band that I always wanted -- it has Hebrew lettering that translates to, "I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine." There is only one problem. I had to purchase it by mail-order and so did not get a chance to try it on first, and it's too tight. Maybe a message is trying to be communicated to me here . . .

My father told me about some kind of rent-a-husband service, where a woman uses a guy for a day to walk down the aisle, get pictures, and get her friends to give her presents. I think that is a little extreme. But I like the idea of a shower for oneself, especially for a milestone birthday.

No comments: