Friday, April 17, 2009

Grassroots God

I've been finding myself in a series of dialogues about the nature of God with a friend of mine. This worldly, intelligent, downright real older man told me that he believes in a God that works from the bottom up, instead of from the top down.

A grassroots God.

A God who works with us where we are, and who we are, and with the world. Not one who created everything and everyone and then walked away, leaving us to our own devices.

While we definitely have some theological differences, I can definitely dig a grassroots God. While we have free will and have been left in charge of the world, God works with our choices and decisions - if we seek Him. If we don't, then He will leave us alone. So to me, it comes down to a choice of whether or not we're going to reach out to God and let Him into our lives.

I am not sure if this is exactly what my friend had in mind, but to me, what I have described here does not require belief in a God of a particular religion necessarily. Rather, it is a comment as to the nature of God as we seek Him, regardless of our faith.

No comments: