Monday, October 19, 2009

Healthcare Rallies and Local Events

Healthcare cuts continue to be a huge issue here in Alberta. I have attended two more rallies in the last week or so. One was to Save Alberta Hospital, and we marched and rallied around Alberta Hospital Edmonton. Here is my photo set and a video. This was the first time I ever ran through a cabbage patch during a rally!

On October 16, the United Nurses of Alberta marched from West Edmonton Mall to the Misericordia Hospital to protest healthcare cuts. Here are photos and the video.

In addition to activism, I've also been having some fun at local events. On Saturday, I went to the Old Time Country Fair in Churchill Square. This was my first time at the event. It attempted to recreate an old-fashioned carnival with games, jugglers, stilt-walkers, horse-drawn carriage rides, food, and balloon fairies. Take a look at the photos. My highlight was riding in the horse-drawn carriage around City Hall.

On Saturday night, I went to Storefront Cinema Night. This was the second year for this block festival, and this year it was expanded to two evenings. Friday night was the family program, while Saturday was the "main event." Three blocks of Stony Plain Road were shut down with movies projected in the windows of several of the businesses in the area. Live hip hop artists provided live entertainment, bonfires kept everyone warm (and it was a nice night, thankfully), and a "throwie" board in the parking lot of Jasper Gates Plaza attracted some attention. People threw coloured LED lights onto a magnetic board, creating a very colourful result. Take a look at my photos.

No comments: