Thursday, December 03, 2009

He Said, She Said: Interfaith Relationships

Several weeks ago I had the pleasure of meeting one of my long-term Twitter contacts in person, @Sirthinks. John, his name in the real world, showed up with his Flickr photo group at a rally where I was singing (totally by coincidence, I have been told). Apparently, our meeting prompted John to check out some of my work online, including the two articles I have written about interfaith relationships: Single Jewish Female: Dating Within the Faith and Small Community, Big Problems: What's a Jewish Girl to Do?.

John had some very strong opinions about what I wrote, and we decided it would be a great idea if we did a "he said/she said" exchange about interfaith romance on his blog. He and I went back and forth for a while, adding our thoughts to the same post, then opened up the post to comments from others. Here is the post: Tradition v. The Heart v. Expectation.

When our thoughts started winding down, we each wrote separate summary posts. Here is John's: On compromise and the devil's advocate. And, here is mine: Straight From the Heart: Traditions and Love.

As readers can see, John and I are both very opinionated people. I am not sure that we see eye to eye on everything (in fact, Ia m sure we don't), but this exchange was definitely worth having as it caused both of us to reflect on our values and beliefs.

No comments: