Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Write the Power: Writing Workshop

I led a writing workshop on May 20 as part of the "Writing Quarters" series organized by E4C called "Write the Power: Words on Activism." Below are my notes, as well as the work I created during the writing exercises.
Writing Quarters
“Write the Power:” Words on Activism

I. Introduction (10 minutes) a. Introduce myself: Community/alternative journalist; activist; led a workshop last year on community journalism
b. Go around table and ask for introductions; why are you here?

II. Writing Prompts (10 minutes writing time each; sharing optional: 10-15 minutes each)
a. Slogan/Chant: Pick a social cause and write a 1-2 line slogan or chant.
(Examples: The people united will never be defeated.
Whose street? Our streets. Who decides? We decide.)

b. Poem/Song: Pick a social cause and write a verse or two of a poem (any style) that could be done as spoken word at a protest.

My example, inspired by protests against Bill C-51:

The clock is ticking
Human rights fading
Government taking
Our freedoms, our voices
Leaving us no choices

This is why we're fighting
To keep the fire igniting
Stand up and be counted
Take the power back

c. Meditation on “The Ideal World:” Activism is ultimately about making the world a better place, regardless of the cause. Describe the “ideal world” in verse or prose.

My example:

John Lennon's famous words "You might say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" really resonated with me from the first time I ever heard the song "Imagine." I like to think of myself as a dreamer and my dream involved a world without war, hunger, or homelessness. Where people treat each other with respect and are not afraid to love. Changing the world means changing the world around us. It starts with the people in our daily lives and then hopefully creates a ripple effect. That is my dream, a dream of universal love leading to a more loving universe.

d. Open prompt: Take any of the three pieces created during the workshop thus far, and build on it. (write more slogans; a few more verses of the poem; expand the “Ideal World” theme.

I expanded the spoken word poem I wrote on Bill C-51:

Take the Power Back

The clock is ticking
Human rights fading
Government taking
Our freedoms, our voices
Leaving us no choices

This is why we're fighting
To keep the fire igniting
Stand up and be counted
Take the power back

There can't be justice
When all of those amongst us
Are hit with a label
Called terrorists, unstable
Can't gather without suspicion

Don't let them have that ammunition
Stand up and say no
Chart the direction we will go
Take the power back

Once our rights are lost they're gone
Don't let them think that they have won
We've got to stand up,
Stand and be strong
Make a right out of this wrong
And take the power back.

III. Conclusion
a. Encourage participants to stay in touch; share work on my blog.

No comments: